History of the New York Barclay Hotel

  • History of the New York Barclay Hotel

    1926.

    Originally known as The Barclay, the hotel opened under the aegis of the Vanderbilt family. Popular in social circles, it was the most luxurious hotel built by the New York Central Railroad and one of the most glamorous and elegant hotels in Manhattan.
  • 1938.

    The Cornell Club moves into the entire third floor - it would stay for 12 years. Other Ivy League Schools have called The Barclay home over the years.
  • 1945.

    The famous lobby birdcage made its debut - the first ever to appear in a hotel lobby.
  • 1978.

    InterContinental Hotels purchased The Barclay, restoring it at a cost of $32 million, becoming the Hotel InterContinental New York in 1982.
  • 1995.

    $20 million restoration of the hotel's public areas, including a restoration of the lobby featuring Tennessee marble floors, Tiffany-style skylights and original cornices and ceilings.
  • 2001.

    As part of its 75th Anniversary celebration and multi-million dollar rejuvenation, the hotel reclaimed its roots by renaming the hotel InterContinental New York Barclay.

  • View the InterContinental New York Barclay Fact Sheet

  • Fun Facts from the InterContinental New York Barclay
Manhattan luxury hotel
InterContinental New York Barclay Hotel (NY)

InterContinental New York Barclay
Located at
111 East 48th Street, New York, New York 10017
Direct: 212-755-5900 Fax: 212-644-0079
Email: Barclay@ihg.com
Flag Icon
New York Barclay Hotel


Book Now